I had the honor and privilege of speaking at Disrupt HR Indy 2.0 last night (4.25.17)! Over 100 HR & Business Leaders/Owners that are making huge impacts in the Indy market and community. Not sure how I made the list of speakers! Our firm, Platinum Recruiting, is thrilled to have been a sponsor.
Keep scrolling for quotes and information from each speaker. But, first, a few pics:
“DisruptHR” is an informative exchange designed to energize, inform and empower executives, business leaders and people in the HR field. This event is a night of short, focused talks from people who want to share their ideas on how we can move our talent thinking forward.
Leading up to the event, someone asked if I was good at public speaking. I thought for a minute, and realized it’s been years since I presented in public. I’m talking 10+ years. Maybe since my corporate accounting days at Johnson & Johnson where the Financial Leadership Development Program required presentations. My presentation wasn’t perfect, but that’s not the point of this event. It’s about pushing the envelope, sharing new ideas and “Disrupting HR”.
The topic of my presentation was “What Is Your Current Salary”. “None of Your Business”. I’ll write more about this in the next “Platinum Unplugged”.
Below are some of my key takeaways. This information runs the gamut: Funny, shocking, brilliant, refreshing, informative, innovative…just to name a few.
Please note, the format of this event was 5 minute presentations with slides auto changing every 15 seconds. In other words, it was impossible to catch everything and take notes with 100% accuracy! Also, the event was at a brewery, so there was beer involved.
Here we go:
- 3 steps to making business a game.
- A Mission is pointless without a scorecard/scoreboard!
- Core values are the rules of your game.
- HR wants employees to love the company. Marketing wants customers to love the company. “Let’s go down the same road”. “Let’s get on the same bus”
- If your employees can’t buy into your brand experience, they can’t translate it to your customers.
- Employee happiness is now a trend!
- Happy employees make for happy customers.
- Work-life balance doesn’t work. Focus on blend.
- Find the right talent…for the right role…at the right time.
- Find little bets. Don’t bet the company.
- If HR says “no” too much, they’ll soon be irrelevant. Find ways to say yes.
- No plan survives first contact with the enemy
- Agile = Open to change
- Agile isn’t a thing you buy. It’s a thing you are.
- “Got connected with diversity when I was born”
- In 34 years = never been interviewed by a black person.
- Diversity is about the opportunity to bring everyone together and get better.
- Mission Breeds Purpose.
- It’s not about you. It’s about us.
- Develop Stewards, not employees.
- It’s a mistake to try to sell change without understanding their pain.
- Don’t shove change down their throat like a “Satan Sandwich”.
- 80% of employees would be energized by learning new skills.
- Part of empowerment is choosing your own path, not the one the company chooses for us.
Taryn – Director of Global Senior Leadership @ Cigna – (Taryn’s Twitter)
- 5 Practices of Resilient People: Vulnerability, Productive Perseverance, Connection, Grati-osity, Possibility.
- Resilient people have the “Adversity Quotient”
- Gratiosity is the process of being patient.
- 70% of employees are NOT engaged at work.
- HR can become the CEO’s co-pilot.
- Only 20% of engagement initiatives work.
Already looking forward to the next event. Don’t miss out!
Huge shout-outs to Julie, Deb, Andrea and Kymberli for not only organizing this event but spearheading the DisruptHR initiative in Indianapolis. Check out their information below:
- Julie Barker – Sr Director of HR @ Appirio – (Julie’s LinkedIn Profile)
- Andrea Brummett – President @ reddeHR – (Andrea’s LinkedIn Profile)
- Deb Lang – Mgr of Training & Development @ CNO – (Deb’s LinkedIn Profile)
- Kymberli Findley – Director of Employee Engagement @ SmartIT – (Kymberli’s LinkedIn Profile)
Thank you to Two Deep Brewing Company for hosting.